Monday, October 13, 2008

Whilist I was away...

While I was visiting my father in Idaho, my stepmother received a call from their Stake Presidency. It seems that they had an "emergency meeting" about a referendum in California about amending the constitution stating that marriage is between a man and a woman. The Stake wanted people (in Idaho) to man a call center calling people in California. I am incredibly torn on this in many ways.
While, I agree in calling something "marriage" that is between male and female, by definition. I do NOT agree with limiting people in financial benefits based on their sexual orientation. Having someone get denied on medical benefits just because they are a homosexual, is wrong.
Second, they wanted them to make out calls, which made it seem like they were cold calling people. I also have a problem with that. That kind of move is more aligned with political groups trying to turn public opinion, which I have a fundamental problem with combining that and religion.
Now, there are some gay people who are fighting to have it by "right" in the definition of the word, Marriage. Those people are crusaders who will stop nothing short of their lifestyle being accepted by every man, woman, and child on the planet. Thus, I look at homosexual relations, much in the way that many Asian cultures do. They acknowledge them and understand that many people have homosexual tendencies, but they do not go as far as to not make fun of a bearded flaming homosexual. Their TV and movies have many jokes and puns about transvestites and the hilarity that it can ensue.
Truth be told, I don't know why I feel the need to do anything to try and affect California law. California has always been a little different. You've got a huge gay community there, and state laws should be a reflection of the people in that state. So, basically... If your state is overrun by fags, and you don't like what they do, move. It's that simple.

2 comments:

Annie said...

T-

I agree that it does suck that people are denied financial/health benefits based on sexual orientation, but I do think that we as church members need to take a stand no matter what state we live in to stop the government's acknowledgement of gay marriage. We are told continually in the Book Of Mormon that God has covenanted with us to protect our nation (the promised land) if we are righteous.

2 Nephi 1:9-10
“…those whom the Lord God shall bring out of the land of Jerusalem shall keep his commandments, they shall prosper upon the face of this land; and they shall be kept from all other nations, that they may possess this land unto themselves. And if it so be that they shall keep his commandments they shall be blessed upon the face of this land, and there shall be none to molest them, nor to take away the land of their inheritance; and they shall dwell safely forever.
But behold, when the time cometh that they shall dwindle in unbelief, after they have received so great blessings from the hand of the Lord…behold, I say, if the day shall come that they will reject the Holy One of Israel, the true Messiah, their Redeemer and their God, behold, the judgments of him that is just shall rest upon them.”

2 Nephi 1:7
“Wherefore, this land is consecrated unto him whom he shall bring. And if it so be that they shall serve him according to the commandments which he hath given, it shall be a land of liberty unto them; wherefore, they shall never be brought down into captivity; if so, it shall be because of iniquity; for if iniquity shall abound cursed shall be the land for their sakes, but unto the righteous it shall be blessed forever.”

If California starts a "trend" which often happens in legislation and politics we could soon be looking at a Constitution approving of gay marriage. Gay marriage is a sin in the eyes of God and a nation accepting of that practice will be cursed unto us.

You said “I don't know why I feel the need to do anything to try and affect California law.” If we don’t speak up now, when do we?

Choda said...

Why does anyone care what gay people call their personal relationship? It is just a title. How would them calling their relationship marriage effect anyone in the LDS church? Ask yourself a question, what does marriage mean to you? To me marriage is a commitment and a promise that I made to my spouse. If my partner happened to be a man would my promise and commitment be any less valid? If my partner was a man would my promise and commitment make the commitments to your spouse any less valid? I would say it would not! Governments roll in society should be to regulate and to protect. Should they only protect the rights of straight people or should they protect the rights of everyone?