Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The high cost of patriarchal religions...

The High Cost of Patriarchal Religions...

Today, I read an article talking about Iraq and militants. You can check out the article here. Reuters is one of the few news sources that I broadly trust. They are usually staffed with good writers who know their stuff. This article talks about how women in Iraq, are relegated and forgotten so they are targeted by militants to blow themselves up, basically.
This emphasises one of points that I don't think is talked about enough. Now, granted I grew up far more liberally in the LDS faith than most. I came from divorced parents, from a single mother home. My mother liked learning and went to school. My mother never was the sub-servient type. This brings up an important point, one that I will struggle with always. Lack of education and bending to the will of the man, will always be a big problem.
The main issue is with education though. Early on, LDS women have this perception of being taken care of. Even to the point that they don't have to think. The only thing that they have to concentrate on is pumping out children. A perception that I find particularly annoying, which probably has contributed to the fact that I am not married.
It's not a far stretch to think that provided some external circumstances (like a spouse or family dying), that it would drive them to blow up building, provided enough stimulus. I can think of several house wives that losing their family could easily be pushed that way by some in a religious community.
So, what does one need to do to avoid this? I think educating is the best tool to use. The church has informed young women to get an education, but how much is this actually practiced? Granted, I haven't really been dating a whole lot recently, but women still have this perception of being "taken care of". I was recently talking to a friend on why she wouldn't give us shorter guys in the world a chance, and she gave the notion that "I just need to feel protected, and that he's in charge". When did we get to the point that it was required? Even if you believe in things like biological social theory. The women in the animal kingdom always exercise control. They sometimes are the ones that hunt. They usually have nothing to do with the father after child birth. The man is only in control or involved in sexual reproduction. When did human society error on this?
I chalk it all up to laziness. It's far easier to make someone make a choice for you, than to make it yourself, and struggle with the consequences and making concessions with decisions available. So, in short, a sad story that is easily remedied.

2 comments:

Annie said...

T-

I think you should probably do more research before you make comments about women, education and religion. Here is a section from a talk given by Pres Hinckley at the Oct Conference, 2006 (directed to priesthood holders).

"I call your attention to another matter that gives me great concern. In revelation the Lord has mandated that this people get all the education they can. He has been very clear about this. But there is a troubling trend taking place. Elder Rolfe Kerr, Commissioner of Church Education, advises me that in the United States nearly 73 percent of young women graduate from high school, compared to 65 percent of young men. Young men are more likely to drop out of school than young women.

Approximately 61 percent of young men enroll in college immediately following high school, compared to 72 percent for young women.

In 1950, 70 percent of those enrolled in college were males, and 30 percent were females; by 2010 projections estimate 40 percent will be males, and 60 percent will be females.

Women have earned more bachelor’s degrees than men every year since 1982 and more master’s degrees since 1986.

It is plainly evident from these statistics that young women are exceeding young men in pursuing educational programs. And so I say to you young men, rise up and discipline yourself to take advantage of educational opportunities."

Besides T have you even finished school?

Lastly, don't quote me unless you can give the full context. I have my bachelor degree and actively pursue additional educational opportunities. I am not looking for a husband to "take care of me" as you have implied.

Unknown said...

ha ha props to you annie, I was just going to quote that talk from P Hink. but you already out did me. Coming from another woman who has her degree and is not just looking for a husband to "take care of me", Terrence I am afraid you have been out voted....