Thursday, August 28, 2008

Something to share with the world.

One of the most beautiful things...

Life is all about sharing with other people, and getting people to understand and see the things you do. Sadly, this is something that I fail at. Rather miserably. I get made fun of all the time for watching cartoons rather than normal TV shows. I hate reality TV. There's just no point in seeing a bunch of people, who I'd probably run over in my car if I met them, play a game and try and get money. While there are so many beautiful and moving other shows on TV. This brings me to my love of the TV show Naruto...

Unfortunately, I have a lot of people who write this off as a mere cartoon and not give it any thought. The story is basically one that I relate to quite a bit. It's a story of isolation and growing up alone. Many of the stories, except the filler episodes, are quite moving a soulful. To understand Naruto, you have to get the basic back story. Naruto takes place in a fictional location. There are many countries and principalities, in one is the Fire Country. In the Fire Country resides the Hidden Leaf Village, filled with ninjas. The leader of these ninjas is called the Hokage.
Many years ago the village was attacked, and almost destroyed, by the Nine Tail Fox (A supernatural spirit beast quite common in many Asian cultures). The 4th Hokage, in an act of desperation, could not beat the beast and had to seal the spirit in a newly born baby, Naruto. Fast forward a few years later. Naruto, the village trouble maker, is trying to graduate from the ninja academy.
The story progresses from there, you learn that most of the villagers regard Naruto as a nuisance, and you find out that Naruto (who has no parents) grew up all alone.

The plots and story arcs contain many life lessons and perceptions, some of which a person may or may not agree with. There are many strong characters in the series, and each one comes to life with their own nuances. You've got Sasuke, the cool guy in school, who is remarkably distant. Sakura, the devoted girl with a crush on Sasuke. Shikamaru (one of my favorite characters in any show) who is a genius, but lacks drive and doesn't want to be bothered with many things. There are many, many more...
The other reason why I like it, is hard to explain. It's kind of metaphysical. In the story, Naruto struggles with the spirit of the Nine Tail Fox (Kyuubi) within himself. He eventually has to use it's power to over come enemies and to try and reach his goal of becoming the next Hokage. However, there are moments where they personify this internal struggle in a couple of scenes. Naruto is in a vast labyrinth. He comes upon a large gate, with a seal over the lock. (Depicted Below) It is metaphoric of many struggles we all face. I mean, we all fight the urges and tendencies of the natural man.

However, it's something a little bit more for me. That I relate to. You see, I have two very distinct and different sides of my personality. It's much like I'm fighting the demon inside me. That scene depicts what I experience every moment of every day. Watching Naruto has even helped me to certain extent, to remind myself what I have to fight, and what I have to watch for. Which is the most powerful thing in Naruto, for me. Still the story overall is one redemption, searching, and human interactivity.
There are several moments in the series, where I'll admit it, I cry like a little school girl. The emotions conveighed are that powerful. The series deals with many adult subjects, but is still something young people can enjoy. I wouldn't have a 7 or 8 year old watching it, because I think it's important to grasp what the series is saying, which is one of the most poignant lessons this world needs to learn, but you'll have to watch it to find it out...

No comments: