Thursday, August 7, 2008

Destined for Greatness!

Admittedly, I have never been a huge baseball fan. In fact, I think it all stems from my time in little league. You see, I was a scrawny blonde kid in my youth, till my mother started jamming Pasta dishes and Nestle Quik in me. I always sucked at baseball. I always rode the pine or played left field. It wasn't until this year when I stumbled onto one of the most inspirational stories of the year, that I started liking Baseball...The season of the Tampa Bay Rays.

When the season began, you could tell there was something different about this team. You see the Rays are in the same division as the New York Yankees (The most overrated team in Baseball) and the much beloved by fans, Boston Red Sox. Only one of these teams will make it to the playoffs. Each the Yankees and the Rays have a payroll upwards of 200 million. The Rays however, all have young players with payroll that is about 40 + mil.
You could tell these Rays weren't gonna lie down. Early in the pre-season, they played the Yankees and there was a dust up. Words were exchanged and the Rays never backed down. Then, came the regular season, and against the Red Sox came a bench clearing brawl. Early on you could tell, these Rays were young, and filled with Piss and Vinegar. The were hungry, they had a lot of heart, and they were trying to tell the world "Don't count us out!".
Thanks to the Rays and a couple of friends of mine, I've been getting into Baseball, and it's helped me in the middle of a sports drought I used to feel between Basketball and Football seasons. I ended up watching Rays games as much as I could. Now, with the season winding down, they are now 6 1/2 games ahead of the Yankees, and 3 games ahead of the Red Sox. The analysts will tell you that the Rays have had success because of solid pitching and good defense. I would attribute it all to heart and their desire to not be a laughing stock anymore.
Ladies, we know that sometimes you don't get men and why they love sports so much, and stories like this season of the Tampa Bay Rays are the reasons why we love it. It's about overcoming insurmountable odds, and becoming a champion. I'm looking forward to watching Pena', Upton, Shields, Navarro, and Percival see if they can pull off the impossible.